I watched Pet Sematary, the 1989 version, on Sunday. It is based on the book by Stephen King. I watched it with my mother. I taped it when it was on AMC. It has Stephen King, Dale Midkiff, Fred Gwynne, Denise Crosby, Brad Greenquist, Michael Lombard, Miko Hughes, Blaze Berdahl, Susan Blommaert, and Mary Louise Wilson in it.
Warning: there are some gross parts and some violence.
Quick Summary: A man named Louis Creed moves to Maine with his daughter, her cat, his son, and his wife. They met Jud Crandall who takes them to Pet Sematary. He also takes Louis beyond Pet Sematary to let him bury his daughter’s cat. The cat comes back to life. Louis then uses that secret burial twice to bury his son and wife to bring them back to life too.
There are a few differences:
1. In the book, Jud Crandall has a wife and she dies naturally. Her name is Norma. Missy Dandridge doesn’t hang herself in the book.
2. Rachel’s rental car does break down, but she drives it the rest of the way when a truck driver helps her with the cables.
3. Louis doesn’t find Rachel hanging in the book. She is on the floor like Jud is.
4. Jud is in the kitchen with a butcher knife.
5. Louis stabs Gage twice, one in the lower back and one in the neck.
I asked my mother if she would do the same. She said she would be scared to do it knowing the person come back as a monster. I wouldn’t do it. I did like this movie. I am going to see the sequel on Thursday.